17.5.15

All dress up and no where to go

Such is the story of my life.  If I have my way, I would wear a ballgown skirt and a red lipstick to a playground.  I was told those things are look down upon at the playground so I just stick to my red lipstick.  Once in awhile though you walk into a store and BAM!  You find yourself face to face with the most beautiful dress.  The sky opens up and somewhere from behind the coat rack, white doves fly out singing love songs.  You ran over...pushing whoever is in the way like it is the last slice of chocolate cake left in the world.  If you are a fan of Sex and The City then you might remember a scene where Carrie sees a gorgeous pair of shoes through the window and she lovingly whispers, "Hello, Lover."  Yea, that was this dress for me. Unlike fictional Carrie, I choked on my coffee when I saw the price tag.  You know the rest of the story.  All of the justifications that go through your brain.  I will wear it everyday to every occasion...but but it is just soooooo pretty.  I will DIE if I don't have it.  The girls could wear it as a vintage dress to their junior proms.  I wonder how much my ovaries would go for??  Anyway, it came home with me and all was well with the world once again.  So the point of this post is you know when you find something and then you have to change everything else just for this one particular thing?  Well, as with this dress, I wanted to find a pretty clothing rack to display it in my room.  I didn't want to go out and buy a new rack so I decided to spray paint a clothing rack I already have.


Here is your before.  Cheap plastic rack.  I decided to spray it gold because well, gold is always a good idea.


After is just a chic and simple clothing rack that really let the dresses shine.


Here is my girl.  It is a Tracy Reese Cherry Blossom gown from Anthropologie.  The cut of this dress is just so flattering.


The dress has layers and layers of tulle to make you feel like a princess.



If you ask me you can never have enough tulle.


or any kind of flowers.


How gorgeous is this blush gown my cousin sent me from Burma?  Unfortunately the only way I can fit into it is if I remove a rib or two and I like my ribs...and cakes too much.





I don't shop a lot....that is partially true.  I do adore collecting gowns and tea length dresses that you can twirl the night away in.  These are my beauties for this year.  I don't know about you but when spring and summer comes around, I live in dresses.  I own two pairs of pants.  Dresses and flower crowns are my summer staples.


Here is Aurora in honor of Frida Kahlo Exhibit at The New York Botanical Garden.



Who said uni brows aren't beautiful?

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you bought the dress...it is simply gorgeous! 99% of my shopping is sales so once in awhile I like to splurge...I deserve it!

    Your little girl looks beautiful as Frida. Is that you in the photo above with the hunky guys?!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jane, it took me a week to convince myself but I could not stop thinking about it. Yes it is me with my two hunky friends. I am actually getting my gown make for their wedding. It is going to be very MET gala-ish and it will be fabulous. : )

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Victoria. My daughter is similar to you in regards to dresses. She loves them and chooses her own clothes since she was about three. She is always beautifully dressed when she goes somewhere. She also loves headbands and flowers. PVC covers so well with spray paint and it looks authentic; I love it. Your daughter looks beautiful as Frida. You make a beautiful life. Have a wonderful day. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quality in women, don't you? I always have to remind my male friends that we do not dress for them but for ourselves and for other women. I hope my girls grow up with that sense of individuality and not conform to the mold of what society wants from them.

      Delete
  3. Victoria,
    Tis true a girl's gotta do what a girl wants to do. I understand falling in love with a dress, it brings our heightened fairy tale imagination into our reality. What brings you joy is always a good idea. Love your spray painted rack, those gorgeous dresses deserve to hang from golden rods.
    Aurora as dressed in honor of Frida Kahlo warmed my heart... Oh Victoria you rock as a mom!!!
    Xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vera. You know this will be the picture I will be pulling out for her senior yearbook.

      Delete
  4. Your dress is beautiful. I think the last time I wore a dress was when my youngest daughter was married. that was 12 years ago. I'm a jeans and boots/sandals kind of person. You and your girlies were made for pretty, twirly dresses, Victoria! thanks so much for coming by and commenting on my last post. I felt sort of like I had opened Pandora's Box. When you started blogging, blogdom fell in love with your talent, honesty, and those little sweeties of yours. Stay true to you. and Frida never looked so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. My friends look at me funny when they see me in pants because I rarely wear them. I have been seeing a lot of blog posts about the changes in blogging world. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. You're a genius, Victoria!!! Love how you transformed the dress rack to give it just enough glamour to show off your stunning collection of dresses. So glad you sprung for that divine Anthropologie dress...you'll never be sorry!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I got it too, Mary Alice. I am questioning why I didn't use spray paint before. It is sooo easy!

      Delete
  6. You make me miss the city, Victoria. And shopping at fine stores. And dressing to the nines to go out. But that was years ago, when I left my heart in San Francisco.

    The dress is gorgeous and is perfect for you. I know you will find many, many reasons to wear it.

    I also adore Miss Aurora-Frida. Such fun the girls must have with you as her Mama!!!
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lin, I am happy I don't live close to the city or I will be in trouble. It takes me about an hour to get to a really nice mall. I bet your mountain side garden is in full bloom now.

      Delete
  7. Victoria,
    The dress is gorgeous I bet it looks so pretty on you. We only live once so you need to have that happy dress in your wardrobe! Have a great start to the new week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, that is what I keep telling myself!

      Delete
  8. It's stunning Victoria! I love how you styled your shots. What a fun idea to display all of your beautiful dresses out in the open instead of tucking them away in the closet. My daughter is going to her eighth grade formal in a couple of weeks and I'm so looking forward to taking her shopping.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is simply gorgeous! Just like her mommy. Have a lovely week. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Victoria, Say yes to the dress, I just don't wear them enough, I'm the torn tattered holes in jeans girl, v-neck thin see through whiteTees, and a great dark long thigh length blazer, very New York. Yet call me up for a special occation and the gowns come out to play, yet they still have that appeal of vintage tatter to them, my daughter is so much me in every bit the style. Home fashion design clothing fashion so it's fun for us to share our clothes.

    As for your look it's also so my daughters, love the floral head piece, and your little Frida is so cute.
    Your friends....well hunks fit the bill, major cuteness.

    See you soon,
    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos of the girls are genius. Glad you got the dress. There are things I have kicked myself over when I didn't just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi,really beautiful apple,do you know where i can find that elegant.thanks,Vox
    Shoper a Fashions

    ReplyDelete