12.9.14

I like big mirrors and I cannot lie.

OK, so the title might be a bit misleading since this is actually a project where I will be making a big mirror into two smaller mirrors...because you know, bigger isn't always better.  This project has been in my head for a very very long time.  With some of the works I do, I can usually guess how the outcome is going to be.  This one...I really wasn't sure. So it stayed on my to do list until this weekend.  My parents left on Sunday and I found myself very sad.  As usual I dealt with emotions the only way I know how...I create.  The moment their car left my driveway, I immersed myself in this project.  Like most homes, I have this plain builder's grade vanity mirror.  I really really dislike it but taking it out and replacing it with two different mirrors seem like too much work...mostly the taking it out part.  I could have frame it with moldings like most people do but that's no fun for me.  So here is the before.


Plain.  Misplaced.  The fact that the mirror isn't perfectly lined up with the sinks drove me crazy but OK, I can work around it.   I sketched out the shape of the frames on the mirror.  I knew those little washable crayons would come in handy.  Then I painted the outer edges with white paint.  By this point, I know there is no turning back.



Before you start thinking that I actually work for Efex company, let me assure you that I don't.  It has become a favorite medium of mine to work with.  Just like I use clay to sculpt, these appliques allowed me to be creative.  I ordered a bunch of Efex appliques from Maison Decor.  I was hoping I could get three projects out of them but I am not really known for less is more.  First I painted the appliques.  I wish I have pictures of every process but I usually work after 11 o'clock at night and by then my brain is half fried and I am not thinking straight.  The next part is putting the appliques on the mirror.  This is always the hardest part for me.  I can spend days and weeks just trying to figure out how I want things to look like.  It is kind of pointless since I always end up changing it last minute anyway.  I use contact cement to glue the appliques onto the mirror.


Right about now was when I realized why I kept skipping this project.  Even my crazy brain knew this was one of those projects that sound really good in my head but it wasn't going to translate well in real life.  I stared at it.  I stared at it some more.  I hated it.  I wanted to cry.  I lost some sleep trying to figure out how to fix it.  As usual my solutions came around 3 in the morning.  Trumeau Mirror!  It was the perfect fix to hide the mirror edges.  Now if I were a good blogger, I would have taken the time to take pictures of the process and all that.  I am the worst.  I get an idea and I run with it like a mad woman.  So I added moldings on the top and the sides then painted it Chalk Paint® in Paris Grey.  Then gilding wax and dark wax to antique the frame....and....DONE!





What do you think?  So much better than before.  I am really happy with it.





I think it is a good balance to my shabby distressed cabinets.



I do have crazy amount of mirrors.  You can never have enough pretty mirrors.


The important thing with appliques is to think beyond what it looks like.  I cut up almost every piece of appliques to create different style combinations.  There are so many possibilities.  My antique French cabinet now resides in the bathroom.




Along with all the other little pretty things...



 Can we please take one last look at my builder's grade mirror turned gorgeous French trumeau mirror?  Love.


Now I can finally get some sleep.  I will be over at Pamela's From my front porch to yours for How I found my Style Sundays.  I hope you can stop by.  Here is a little sneak peek.





See you soon!


Love,
Victoria


Linking up with:
http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/
http://www.findingsilverpennies.com/
http://www.frenchcountrycottage.net/
http://shabbyartboutique.com/
http://www.craftberrybush.com/
http://www.modvintagelife.blogspot.com/
http://www.astrollthrulife.net/
http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

38 comments:

  1. As usual you are a genius! Gorgeous to the MAX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darrielle. I am loving your mirror too!

      Delete
  2. Well my sweet friend Victoria you are delightful. your use of appliqués are B-R-I-L-L-A-N-T.
    The mirror is tres chic French Boho style and just gorgeous. I can relate to the midnight madness creativeness. I am what you would call a night owl and at a moments notice will brainstorm up the most unusual artistic expressions. I love that trait in you, for I can totally relate.

    Your French cabinet dwelling in your bathroom has found a perfect spot. It truly has found the perfect spot to add glamour and Frenchness.

    I too have a weakness for Leopard shoes, slippers, socks ... Yes the queen of wearing Black will adorn my feet in Leopard, Victoria I say this from my bottom of my heart you are a delight to follow and read your adventurous adventures in fabulous home decor.
    XO,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mirror transformation is pure genius!!! Where were you when I was wondering what to do with my builder's grade bathroom mirrors? :-) So, So Gorgeous!!! And I agree, you can never have too many mirrors.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again an amazing project turned stately chic!
    Victoria I found a great mirror plain wood trim that I plan to embellish with vintage wood trim similar to what you have done here with less work in the bending movement, just waiting for a few more finds and it will be my new guest bathroom mirror.

    Sensational !!!

    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you're just brilliant! what a transformation, I had to look at this several times to figure out what exactly you did. just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a real wonder, Pretty Lady! Do you have any sort of training or experience in the design/art field? You just blow me away with your creative genius. The mirror is stunning! I am so glad that you were determined to get it the way you wanted...no worries about taking 1000 pictures..it speaks for itself!

    Love it!

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your vision is inspiring, Victoria. Never in a million years would I have thought that a builder's grade mirror could turn into anything like this. Amazing.
    xoxo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  8. love what you did with the mirrors. And your home. Waiting for you to paint that sink counter top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. also, do you know about Bomardesigns.com? these are like the Effex embellishments only they are resin and you can steam them and they glue right onto any surface. They are gorgeous and VERY easy! Check it out. You'll love them also

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. You have such great ideas and they turn out beautiful. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Victoria, how do you even think this stuff up!!! It looks so amazing! I love the French cabinet you have in there also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Victoria you are the answer to my big mirror dilemma! I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to avoid taking the huge mirror down in our master. I love this project and it is now on my list of to dos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Its beautiful Victoria, I am in love with the finished result!! As always you are an innovative creative designer and I love seeing what you come up with. xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Victoria you are a decorating magician! I am a huge fan of your blog and your creations. Very inspiring the things you do on a limited budget. Please continue to blog about your creations...xoxo Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Absolutely GORGEOUS! I just found you over at Pamela's and now a new follower.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, now this was a beauty of an idea! Everything turned out so wonderful and very elegant! Thanks for sharing. Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love with your mirrors!!! Love, love, love!! Great job Victoria!
    Have a lovely day!
    Hugs,
    Vesna

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the best fix to those gigantic mirrors ever! It makes me wish I hadn't pulled mine down. This is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely incredible! Your creativity takes my breath away - and the fact that you made something so beautiful in the wee hours of the morning as well :) Always a joy to visit your blog!
    Jennelise xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know I LOVE this project. Thank you for sharing it at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm really enjoying watching your home evolve and transform Victoria. You are doing such a fabulous job.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another gorgeous idea comes to fruition! It looks amazing, I admire your go for it attitude.
    This looks fabulous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are the most creative person I have run across in a while. I cannot tell you how much I love what you have done with this bathroom mirror. I am dying to try some of those appliqués, and I just discovered that our chalk paint dealer carries them here in Birmingham. My powder room decor is definitely due for a little shot in the arm. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like big mirrors too and I am glad to hear some one say the same. The bigger the better !!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Victoria, t his is BRILLIANT- cannot even believe what a huge difference this has made. WOW. Well done, ma'am! found you from Kris' blog. I am your newest follower.

    Your children are beautiful and so are YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I found you though Finding Silver Pennies and I just had to sign up to follow your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Beauty!
    It has been way too long...and for that I am sorry. I am bingeing on your blog today and loving every second!
    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Beauty!
    It has been way too long...and for that I am sorry. I am bingeing on your blog today and loving every second!
    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where did you get the appliques?

    rosemarykw368@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely beautiful! You are amazing artist. I'm blown away by your talent. I never comment on stuff, but I very much admire your pieces!

    ReplyDelete